Estefania: Networking Events & Guest speakers

In this blog, I would like to talk about my experience of attending networking events offered by the LAIBS Faculty (Lord Ashcroft International Business School) and the Employability Service at Anglia Ruskin University (ARU).

Attending the organised events is a great opportunity for students studying Business.  I highly recommend it because, first of all, you get the experience of how to start networking which is extremely useful for anything you want to do in the future. Plus attending networking events can create a lot of opportunities for your career, such as: opportunities to get an internship, a job or to start up your own business.

Having the extra-curricular activities, such as networking and attending guest speakers talks at ARU is extremely beneficial because the guests speakers are experts on the topic they are presenting, which would be interesting and important to anyone who decides to attend the talks. The speakers can give you a lot of advice – I think we rely on our networks to advise us and to keep us on track.

I believe all of this creates a very positive influence on students because, by attending these events, we are surrounding ourselves with the right people and we can learn a lot from them.

Another great benefit is that we gain confidence and experience by starting to talk to people at the networking events, and that is a great way to practice your business pitch, or just to talk about yourself and the skills you have.

I would particularly like to tell you about a series of events I’ve attended throughout the year, called ‘Be Your Own Boss’ seminar series (BYOB).  I decided to attend the BYOB seminars since November 2015. These are FREE extra-curricular seminars for students who want to find out more about the world of business and entrepreneurship.  If you are a Business student, it is a great idea to attend these seminars! You can gain valuable skills to apply to any business idea you may have, as well as network with experts. I have learned a lot by attending these events.  It’s an amazing opportunity to learn general and basic knowledge of the world of business.  I learned things like how to protect my ideas, how to market a new business or product, where and how to get funding, how to start a social enterprise, social media skills, and marketing and sales skills.

It was also very inspiring to hear successful stories from the guest speakers, who were mostly very successful entrepreneurs.  I felt more motivated and inspired to continue with my projects.

I truly recommend everyone attend these events at ARU, as they are unique and valuable opportunities to gain business skills and to build networks that can be extremely valuable for your present and future.