Daniel: The Life of a soon to be Grad.

There are many things you are taught at university, but what about the things you don’t learn in class? The things that make you think “I thought I’d have pulled myself together by now”! The thing you realise very quickly at university is that there are many hurdles and struggles that you go through, but it’s these that help mould and transform you.

Right now I can’t help but think about all the things I have to do both inside and outside of university – I imagine you are too – and, for a while, it overwhelmed me. I went from feeling super organised to someone I barely recognised in a matter of months after an unexpectedly turbulent year. What I learnt? It’s okay to feel anything less than perfect now and again. People look to things like articles to tell them how to fix their lives, though you eventually learn that only you can pull yourself together, follow your dreams, or even apply for that job you never thought you’d get. The only person that really holds you back is yourself. But what you do need to do when pushing yourself through mountains or work, or jumping over hurdles to land that dream job is make sure you look after yourself. Your physical and mental health come first.

• Did you know (78%) of students say they experienced mental health issues in their last year, according to a survey by the National Union of Students (NUS)?

The great thing is, I’ve met some incredible people at university. I never really expected experiences and amazing memories like the ones I’ve made over the past three years. The most amazing thing about the whole university experience? Interacting with people from other cultures and learning about what different cultures mean to us – both in society and in organisations.

By being exposed to multiple students from various backgrounds, inspiring lecturers, and professionals across multiple industries – as well as great opportunities, such as the intern programme – I feel I’ve really grown and become well-rounded. This reflects well in interviews and networking events. I have had the opportunity to work for (what is now) a FTSE 100 Company and that has really shaped me as a person and helped me learn and develop multiple leadership and project-related skills.

The other week I interacted with and shook hands with the CEO of Hi-Tec, Ed van Wezel, at a LAIBS (Lord Ashcroft International Business School) event and he really reiterated my learnings from my experiences here at Anglia Ruskin; work hard, be yourself and success will come. This really helped to motivate me and reminded me why I’ve worked hard all these years. It really was a great evening and I felt really lucky to have had a chance to meet someone in a position such as Ed.

In my next post, I aim to talk about some points I’ve learnt that have really helped me personally and for nerve wracking situations like interviews. Hopefully they’ll be of some use!