Amy: Let me start with a limerick

A cough worse than normal, S.O.B.

Reduced saturations, a wheeze.

Inhalers all colours.

Skin is discoloured.

I’m sure this is C.O.P.D.

Being a student paramedic at ARU is more than just placement. We spend every Monday in uni learning about different illnesses and diseases that are relevant to presentations we see on the road out on placement. We learn in blocks according to system. We’ve covered bradycardia (when the heart beats too slowly), heart failure, tachycardia (when the heart beats too fast) in the cardiovascular block, and we’re currently in the respiratory block and covering asthma, chest infections and pneumonia.

Today was a lesson on COPD; it isn’t necessarily the easiest disease process around, however the lecturers do a great job at keeping things stimulating and easy to learn.

We started off with everyone having three pieces of paper, with different parts of sentences on them; the idea was to read out your sentence and have another person finish it for you. This was both hilarious and educational. We went through a PowerPoint with our lecturer, asking questions and learning about the disease process.

We are given pre-reading to do each week, which we are tested on at the beginning of the week. The pre-reading consists of a PowerPoint and a podcast, which are linked. (As if I can’t get enough of our lecturer already, he’s now speaking to me whilst I’m revising at my desk!)

I personally really enjoy this style of independent learning, knowing what we will be doing for the next coming weeks gives me the opportunity to read around the subject and drum up my questions. I enjoy spending time on my work, presenting it in a way that I am proud of and will enjoy looking back on for years to come.