Sophie S: Placements without midwifery

This blog will outline my two-week placement where I got to choose ten days of non-midwifery placements myself. I really enjoyed organising it although it was stressful at times to arrange ten different consecutive days!

Here is what I got up to; speak to you soon.

Sophie

Day Activity and description
1 Critical Care Outreach Team
These are a group of specialist nurses who are based in the main hospital and respond to calls when wards feel their patients have reached a critical state and require specialised care. The critical care nurses make a plan of care for these very sick people which can help the ward manage their health better.
2 Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Hearing
I attended a NMC hearing. For reasons of confidentiality I am unable to discuss the case but hearings occur when there are concerns over the care midwives and nurses are given. It is very similar to a court hearing and is treated very seriously.
3 Colposcopy Clinic
Women are given an appointment here if they have had a smear test and the result has come back abnormal. Colposcopy is part of preventing cervical cancer so is a very important treatment. I got to see a cervix, which helped me with my anatomy and physiology knowledge.
4 Hysteroscopy Clinic
Hysteroscopy is an investigation of the womb and surrounding area. It uses an endoscopy camera to look through the cervix and into the uterus (womb).This was really interesting and again, helped me with my midwifery anatomy and physiology as we learn a lot about the uterus during the course.
5 London Museum
I went to the Royal College of Surgeons Hunterian Museum in London where I saw lots of different anatomical specimens which had been collected hundreds of years ago, including both human and animal skeletal remains. This sounds gross but it was one of the most fascinating things I have seen. It is amazing how much animals and humans have evolved and it is even more amazing that we have this museum in London, which holds some of the most famous specimens in the world.I also saw the historical surgical instrument collection, which for me was interesting as I saw how obstetric equipment such as a ventouse cup and forceps have changed over time.
6 IVF Centre
I got to see where I was made! This was my favourite day. I was an IVF baby so seeing treatment taking place was amazing and fascinating. IVF stands for In Vitro Fertilisation and assists couples in conceiving if they are having difficulty doing so. There is so much that takes place there such as sperm analysis, egg collection and insemination. I had a fantastic day and thoroughly recommend it.
7 Sexual Health Clinic
Here I observed a specialist nurse who provided a walk-in service for sexual health advice on relationships and contraception. It was good to learn about the different types of contraception available to women and the advice they are given on family planning.
8 & 9 Reproductive Medicine Specialist Nurse (two days)
I shadowed a specialist reproductive medicine nurse and saw several operations in theatre such as a hysterectomy and cyst removal. I really enjoyed my time with her because my area of special interest is women’s health and postnatal care so shadowing her was really insightful and enjoyable.
10 Safeguarding Study Day
This study day was fantastic! There were talks on sexual violence in relationships, domestic violence, gang violence and bullying at schools. The lecturers and speakers were amazing and I really enjoyed learning about how midwives can recognise different signs that women and children may be in trouble.