Hera: Third time a fresher

I’m not trying to be funny but, when you first arrive at university, you can’t help but feel a little bit like Anna from Disney’s Frozen, with her newfound independence. (Exhibit A.)

Being away from home for the first time in forever (see what I did there?), you do tend to revel in your independence. But when you’re a third year (like me) walking through those university doors for Freshers’ Week, you develop a different kind of spring in your step; something which translates as having ownership over your university. It’s quite a funny feeling to describe really, and it’s weird to say, but it sort of feels like having a younger sibling: you can focus on and rant about  shortcomings, but you also become very defensive when an outsider criticises it too harshly. At the end of the day it is your university; your home away from home.

Hera and friends

Now I don’t know about other third years, but my friends and I are going through some serious third-year syndrome, where we can’t seem to believe that at the end of the year we’ll be done and (hopefully!) graduating. This third-year syndrome is causing weird behavioural changes. We’ve probably attended anything and everything Freshers’ Week had to offer! We’ve been to a lot of campus sport events – and I mean a LOT, from fencing to Zumba and anything in between! We’ve also taken to vlogging (video blogging) about our third year. Between all of us there’ll be at least one person recording everything that we’re up to! (hopefully I’ll share our final edited product at the end of the year).

Everybody has different fears when it comes to moving away from home. One of my greatest fears about coming to university was: will I just become indifferent to, and not excited by biomedical science once I start studying it extensively? But just the other day, one of my lecturers told us about bioinformatics and how they were running a practical where we would be looking at DNA data on computers and analysing/manipulating it, and I’m happy to report, I still nerded out. Reading my old Hello from Hera blog post from 2013, I’m relieved that I still believe and feel the same things that I did then. What I said about all the hard work being worth it when that one theory just clicks, or when you get a first on an essay after an all-nighter still holds true, and I’m so glad for that.