Rubina: Looking back on my first year of midwifery

When I started this course I had no idea what to expect, I had no idea how difficult it would be and I had no confidence in passing through to Year 2. My first year of midwifery was so hard and overwhelming at the same time. Even though it was difficult I loved every minute of it. The reason why I say it was difficult is purely because this course is so intense! When you have some personal issues going on it makes it a little bit challenging to balance everything. However, I somehow managed and got through it with so much support from tutors, friends and family.

For those wanting to be a midwife, don’t let this put you off. I did some of the most amazing things. For example, I actually delivered six babies – which was extraordinary. The look on the parents’ faces is indescribable. The pure joy and happiness they felt filled the room and it was something I shared with them. Not only that but caring for women and their families was a great experience. I learnt how to be attentive and how to present myself to women when they are feeling low. My knowledge and skills were growing day by day. I became more confident in giving women the appropriate advice they needed, which felt good since I knew what knowledge I needed to use.

Although it was hard balancing everything, I really did enjoy my first year. I think I am going to have the best job ever and am looking forward to Year 2. I cannot wait to learn new things, improve my skills and become more confident in practice. I am looking forward to writing new blogs about my experience and my journey to become a qualified midwife.